Just a quick review after watching Dora Live show with the kids at RWS, Singapore. Ticket price range from 38 SGD to 108 SGD and is held at Resorts World Singapore.
I was rather glad that I didn’t buy the tickets to watch it. I won the tickets from a lucky draw and came with a free photo pass with Dora. Best!
I have some thoughts about the show after watching and here’s it:
1. Simple stage set up and minimal props. No wow effect
How I wish it should be:
a. Have more set ups, more props, and design the stage to look more like a beach or sea. It’s rather bare now and we see mostly the black stage flooring.
b. Maybe have some cardboard waves or moving cloth waves to cover part of the ship so it looks like it’s sailing in the sea
c. The cartoon backdrop doesn’t work. My mind cannot integrate it with the cast. I just thought they are trying to show some random episode of the cartoon. Maybe a colourful cardboard backdrop will be more efficient.
d. Something like the one that Hi-5 did will make the show looks more fun and interesting
2. Not all songs were familiar even though my kids were great fans of Dora, or maybe we didn’t really watch this episode of Dora series.
3. The character mascots didn’t really look like the cartoon version so no wow effect as well
How I wish it should be: The cast looked too stiff and plastic. Maybe could make the hair into wool hair strands that would swish along with the characters as they dance.
4. The ushers were over enthusiastic in stopping every single person taking any sorts of photos, with or without flash. I was asked to stop taking photo even when I was just shooting my kids. Not even shooting at the stage. Her reason was that I would distract the performers. (Oh really?)
How I wish it should be:
The announcement only said no Flash photography and videoing. Why am I disallowed to take photos without flash? (Above photos are taken with extreme caution with the phone camera set to the dimmest lighting, for fear of attracting the ushers and distracting the performers)
5. The flying bubbles were fantastic but no photos allowed as well? Why? And it was kind of a distraction as the whole theatre of kids went crazy chasing after the bubbles and poor Dora and gang were still trying to stage the show in the meantime.
6. Why did only Dora turn up for the photo taking session? Nic was asking how come only Dora?
How I wish it should be: The whole cast to be present! Of course! 🙂
Nat almost fell asleep half way through ( she missed her nap coming for this show) but managed to stay awake through the ending. Maybe they were not engaging enough, although they do have some interactions, like asking the kids to wave their flags and asking where’s Swiper the Fox. Comparing to the Hi-5 concert we went previously, they do need some more improvements in terms of theming the stage and props and designing the performance contents as a whole.
Nevertheless, the kids had a great time but were really cranky and tired after the show.